Best Work Boots for Roofers-Roofing Made Easy!!
“Some links may be affiliate links. We may get paid if you buy something or take an action after clicking one of these”
If you are looking for the best work boots for roofers or roofing, you have come to the right place. I am not going to lie, roofing work is not one of my favorites. The heights are starting to get to me. I tend to leave the roofer work to my sons. I give you guys (and gals) a lot of credit for going into that line of work. Some of those roofs are unbelievably steep and very high!! One bad step could cause a very bad injury. That is why having the right work boots is very important.
Since your work place is 10-20 feet (or more) off the ground, you don’t want to use your everyday shoes. You want something that is going to keep you safe throughout the day. The last thing you want to worry about is slipping and falling. You want a work boot that lets you concentrate on your job and not on your safety.
The Best Work Boots for Roofers/Roofing-What To Look For
Here are some things that you need to look for when purchasing work boots for roofing.
- Safety-make sure the boots are safe. You want to know when you are on a roof that your boots will not slip, untie or break out on the sides.
- Comfort-being up on a roof all day is not the most comfortable place. Make sure your boots offer you the comfort that you need.
- Durable-make sure your boots are durable. Although most roofers will wear most boots out in 3 months or so, find ones that will at least last 3 months!
- Reputable Company-if you are 20 feet above ground, you want work boots from a reputable company who has been making these boots for awhile and have mastered their craft!
I have had discussions with other roofers who say that they just wear their own work boots and then put traction cleats or grippers on the bottoms. No thank you. If I am going to put my life on the line for work. I want a work boot that is specially made for the job. So here is our top 2 picks for the best work boots for roofers.
Cougar Paws Peak Performer Roofing Boots
Our first choice is Cougar Paws Peak Performer Roofing Boots. As you can see by the name, it is a work boot specially made for roofing. That is something I want when I am 20 feet above ground. These boots were actually patented by a roofer named Dan Cougar. He knew what was needed in a work boot for roofing, so in 1996 he started Cougar Paws and they specialize in roofing footwear.
Features We Love
Here are the features that we really liked about the Cougar Paws Roofing Boot.
- Traction Pads-the traction pads offer extra traction and also absorbs the heat from the roof. They come with one set of pads. The pads attach directly to the bottom of the show. They are very easy to replace. You will need to purchase extra pads as they will wear out every 3-4 roof jobs.
- Comfortable-the soft leather makes the boot very flexible and the interior is very comfortable.
- Durable-these babies last. Since they are made of leather, they last a long time, depending how hard you are on them.
- Ankle Support-being a 6 inch boot, it offers great ankle support when you are on the roof.
- Safety-you don’t have to worry about these boots not being safe. They actually exceed the ASTM Rating for slip resistance. Again, that is something I want when I am 20-30 feet above ground.
- Boot Straps-We really like the boot straps that are on the boots. These serve as extra support and also keep your laces intact. You can buy replacement straps if needed.
Here is a really nice video showing you some of the features of the Cougar Paws Roofing Boot. He is pretty high up. Just warning you!!
Because no work boot is perfect, we want to tell you some things that we didn’t like about the Cougar Paws Roofing Boot.
- Size-this is the biggest argument about Cougar Paw Boots. People claim that they run 1/2 size too big. The website says that they don’t. Everybody’s feet are different.
- Pads will wear out if wet-like the gentleman in the video says, the traction pads seem to wear out faster when wet.
The Cougar Paws Peak Performer Roofing Boot is a big time winner in our book. Not only do they exceed the ASTM slip rating, they are also very comfortable and durable. If you are looking for the best work boots for roofing/roofers, then it is one of the best on the market today.
Thorogood Men’s American Heritage Lace-To-Toe Roofer Boots
Our next pick for the best work boots for roofers/roofing is the Thorogood Men’s American Heritage Lace-To-Toe Roofer Boots. Again, this is another boot specifically designed for roofing. I want this when I am on a very steep roof. Thorogood has been producing American made safety footwear since 1892. That is a long time!! Obviously, if they have been around for that long, they are doing something right.
Features We Love
Here are some of the features that we absolutely love about the Thorogood Men’s American Heritage Lace-To-Toe Roofer Boot:
- Durable-in terms of quality, Thorogood knows what they are doing. The Thorogood Roofer Boot is made with 2 layers of leather around the boot. Add on the triple stitching and the rivets in the boots, these are made to last.
- Comfortable-there is a removable insert in the boot that is very comfortable, plus another layer of padding to make this boot one of the most comfortable boot on the market. Also, the eyelid at the top provides more support. The soft leather gives the roofer room to bend his foot when roofing.
- Safety–the MaxWear soles are specially made to grip, so no worries about slipping.
Here is a really nice video showing how Thorogood Work Boots are made. Very interesting.
The only thing that we didn’t like about the Thorogood Men’s American Heritage Lace-To-Toe Roofer Boots is the sizing. Again, like the Cougar Paws, sometimes the size is 1/2 size off. Just be prepared if you order either one of these boots.
The Thorogood Men’s American Heritage Lace-To-Toe Roofer Boots are the real deal. Aside from being made in America, they provide comfort, durability and safety any roofer needs. If you are just starting out in roofing or just want to upgrade your working boots, the Thorogood is one of our top picks!
Well, we hope that we have helped you in your quest to find the best work boots for roofers. Roofing is a dangerous job and you need to make sure you have the proper footwear to keep you safe. Whether you choose the Thorogood Men’s American Heritage Lace-To-Toe Roofer Boots or the Cougar Paws Peak Performance Roofing Boots, we hope that we have helped you make that decision. Thanks for stopping by our website and please leave a comment.
Categorised in: Articles